Sunday, November 22, 2009

pigskin & patriotism....

...what is it about the flag the evokes such a sense of pride? It's a piece of cloth. Stripes, stars...that's it...yet the symbolism of this simplistic banner defines an entire nation. If you think about it, the flag is made up of different colors, shapes, sizes...each special in their own unique way and each representative of something different, but coming together to make something bigger and better, much like us. When I hear the national anthem sung as I did at yesterday's football game, I feel a swell of pride that reaches to the depths of me. To see everyone stand and face the flag, hands over hearts, is just phenomenal to me. That all these people...different backgrounds, religions, political affiliations...each one taking time to honor our flag, our country...it is pretty amazing. It may seem like such a little thing, but to me it is awe inspiring.

I know this will come as a shock, but I was at a football game yesterday =) ... I know, how did you ever figure it out?? It was the team an age level above my son's and they were playing in the championship game. While the game may not have turned out as they had hoped, it was great to see these kids doing what they love to do.










No comments: