Saturday, September 26, 2020

:: celebrating women ::

What does it mean to be a woman? What is beauty? What is femininity? What makes someone feel authentic? I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently as I scroll through my various social media feeds, amazed by the incredible women who touch my life. Women have always been able to do whatever they set their minds to - the main obstacle being societal limitations and what’s “appropriate”. Is someone who stays home to raise a family MORE of a woman than someone who chooses a career path? Of course not. Each is noble in its own right. Just like a stay at home mom is no less fierce than a corporate boss. Each woman possesses her own set of strengths, and however she chooses to use them should be revered. It got me thinking - I want to celebrate and spotlight women and hear their stories while also collaborating with other women in various industries. What really pushed me was seeing posts from one of my former brides. She is a prime example of the idea that women can do whatever they set their sights on. She comes from a family committed to service, so it’s no surprise that she would end up where she is now. But when you look at her, this beautiful, tiny little woman, your first thought would not be firefighter. I think we have this misconception that women who are firefighters have to have a certain look or body type. That couldn’t be further from the truth. This woman is fierce. She is strong. She is determined. She is a BOSS! I asked her some questions to really get a sense of what she does and what her shapes her ideas of beauty and strength.


 “I currently am a Volunteer firefighter with Aberdeen Fire Dept., and I am a career firefighter with a county fire department. I’ve been volunteering for about 7 years and I’ve been paid for almost two. I knew that I wanted to have a job where I helped people. I just didn’t know how. I started volunteering and quickly fell in love with meeting and helping people. It was more than just a hobby to me and I knew I wanted to make a livelihood out of it. I feel most confident when I make a connection on calls. When I have a patient that trusts me and I can tell that they know I’m here to help them. It’s euphoric. There truly isn’t a better feeling. I obviously feel pretty when I have a polished outward appearance but I feel like there is an entirely different meaning to pretty when I am in my work uniform. You wear less makeup and it’s lower maintenance, but there’s a feeling of pride and confidence for your profession and who you represent that inherently makes me feel beautiful.”


When do you feel most like your true self? 

“I feel like my true self when I’m with my shift and my volunteer house. We spend so much time together that it’s like extended family. We pick on each other and give each other a hard time, but I never feel like I’m forced to be anything but myself. I feel accepted and I know that they will support me and have my back through anything. You learn to trust them like they were family.” 


I asked her what her personal definition/idea of femininity:

“My own definition would be embracing what make you female. What traits make you who you are. We aren’t molded the same and we should embrace individuality and the strengths we possess. Every woman has their own story for why they chose their hobbies and profession. I have been blessed to have a strong female leader on my shift at work who reminds me that we can do whatever we want if we work our asses off to get there. But I can do it with being kind and caring, nurturing those around me.”


She is a true hero. A woman who’s dedicated her life to helping others. Every woman has a story. A unique, complicated, beautiful story. I want to help tell those stories. The nurse working overtime during a pandemic. The mom struggling to get her kids through virtual learning. The small business owner who has had to restructure her business model to try to stay afloat. Whatever her story, it’s hers and it’s important. If you know anyone who you’d like to highlight, please shoot me a message! 


I’m so thankful to have partnered with Kera from K Artistry Studios for her amazing makeup skills, Julie from Julie Ellyn Designs for supplying the beautiful baubles, and Tammy Jones from Spa at the Boulevard for hair to die for. Please check out their work and USE THEM!!! Let’s support each other, not only in this time of great uncertainty, but always. 

















No comments: